Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Deli Family

I've been working in the same supermarket deli for 8 years now. I first started out as a bagger but was quickly transferred to the deli after 5 months because the paper bags would irritate the skin on my hands and arms severely. After one year, I met Redbeard there. He had just moved to Vermont and he was a part-time night person and I was an almost-full-time day person. Every so often our hours would overlap, and we met and worked side by side. One day when he was coming into work and I was returning from a break, I caught him at the stairs and told him I had a confession to make. I told him me and my friend M thought he was cute. He was stunned and didn't know what to say, but he played along and our friendship grew.

Shortly after, at the end of M's shift, he asked her out to a movie. Initially she said yes, and she left. 10 minutes later she called back and said she couldn't go on the date, something about her parents (she was 19 at the time and living at home with very protective parents).

The very next day, which was a Monday, he came into the store in the middle of the day on his lunch break to buy some salads. He got a seafood salad and a ham salad, and he also got my number. My mouth dropped to the ground like dammmnnnnn.... M came in later that day for her shift and I told her about Redbeard (back in those days, he didn't have a goatee) and she got extremely upset and said that's my man and called all sorts of nasty names.

I got home later that afternoon, and he wasn't working the deli that night, so he called me. We talked for about an hour, and I enticed him over to my place (still 22 and living at home with my dad) with a big screen tv, a hot tub, and playstation 2. We hit it off immediately and that first night we had some fun, after being friends for a couple of weeks. It wasn't much later that I made a man out of him. He quit a couple of months later because of M and her sorry attitude, but no biggie, we were moving in together soon.

Just over a year later, he asked me to marry him on Christmas morning 2002 in front of my mother, after we had opened up all our presents. It was then that he said "Santa Claus isn't done, he has one more present for you." He turned around to face me, took something out of his pocket, got down on his knee and asked me to marry him! He was so nervous he almost forgot to kneel, I halfway said "aren't you forgetting something?" We were married in May 2004.




Sierra came along 2 years later. Now I just work weekends and stay at home during Redbeard's work week and weekends are Sierra's daddy time.

Now every time we take Sierra shopping with us at my store, it literally takes at least an hour because everyone wants to stop us and talk to us and see Sierra. They ask the same questions over and over: "Are you back to work again?" "You off today?" "How old is Sierra now?" "She's getting so big, I can't believe she's two already!" It really makes us crazy and it takes all our strength to restrain from rolling our eyes. So, we cheat on our store and go shopping the next town over so it doesn't take five years to do the shopping!

So that's how we became "The Deli Family."

14 comments:

Jayne said...

Love the 'how you met' story.

You both look great in your wedding pic.

I'm relieved it doesn't take you all five years to do the shopping anymore... heheee. I hate shopping.

Great post, I always love reading background stories.

Sparkle Plenty said...

Great story, Jess! Did "M" ever stop being mad?

I'm still laughing over this line:

"So, we cheat on our store and go shopping the next town over so it doesn't take five years to do the shopping!"

Yikes! What if your store finds out?

Love the wedding picture.

Redbeard76 said...

As it turns out Sparkle, M is a mental case. They were friends on and off but our most recent meeting with her proved that she was also a pathological liar in addition to her mental instability. Sometimes she would break down crying if you looked at her funny. True story. It's good think I didn't get any further with that train wreck.

Redbeard76 said...

*It's a good thing (whoopsie!)

~**Dawn**~ said...

Awwww. What a great story you'll have to tell Sierra when she gets a little older. =)

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Some times the person you end up with was interested in your friend first.

That is a nice story.

I am sure there is someone out there for M. Maybe she needs to work on her self some. Or some antidepressants. What ever. I am of the notion that there is someone for everyone.

Red, I know what you said. She sounds still young and could use a little help. You ended up with the right person for you and that was all that counts. I suspect even if you went on the date with her, you would have ended up with Jess anyway.

And what a wonderful little girl you both made!

Thanks for sharing, Jess!

Jayne said...

My Mum wanted to leave a comment, but she has no google account or blog and could not do it herself, so she told me what to put:

"Hello Jess,

It's great to meet you at last. I love your wedding photo's and have enjoyed reading your blog up to date. Good stuff.

P.S. Sierra is adorable.

Love

Jayne's Mum

xx "

jess said...

thank im happy im with steve,i knew he was the one whan i 1st meet him, after meet him i break up wiht my boyfriend at the time, that was the best thing i ever did in my life bye

Sparkle Plenty said...

Hey, Jess!

Hope it's sunny and warmer up there. Have a great weekend!

:-)
Sparkle

Redbeard76 said...

::looks out window::

::sees nothing but leaden grey skies::

::looks at thermometer::

::thermometer raspberries back a miserable 59 F / 15 C::

::thinks England is having better weather than here::

::packs bags::

::heads to the docks, stows away on an ocean container for London::

jess said...

"Ahony there, me hearties" :) :)
steve i tohught you would liek this

Redbeard76 said...

So I don't know if anyone picked up on our little pun, but anyone who knows our last name - it strangely sounds like deli if you say it real fast.

jess said...

can you also knit us a blue car and i want our palce in blue and green to go with our car ok thanks i know our bill is i the mail

Ted D said...

Jess, that is CLASSIC! Who knew Redbeard was such a player? ;)