Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Here's the Story of a Lovely Lady...

Before we get too far into blogging, I want to give you some background on me. Not really my life story, but a little about why I do the things I do. Just so you know, my man Redbeard is doing the typing and transcription of notes and ideas from paper to the blog.

I was born with ADD (Attention Deficiency Disorder). Because of it I had to take Ritalin for 7 years and got off of it my junior year of high school. My parents did not know what to do with me so they left it to the Special Ed teachers. I also have a learning disability. When I got to middle school, I also had a stutter for all 4 years that I eventually grew out of but I still do it occasionally. The most embarrassing part was if you missed a time to take your medication, the nurses paged you over the PA or came to your class.

I was able to take normal classes with the help of an aide, so I wasn't stuck in the Special Ed room all day, only for study hall. I was higher functioning than most of the kids in special ed, but moreso in high school. But I've always had a problem reading and spelling. I could read and spell small things, but wasn't very good at it until my sophomore year in high school. What helped me most was reading Robert Frost short stories. Even though I had a disability, the kids didn't pick on me, only for my stuttering. It also helped that I had two popular brothers who always stuck up for me and were always there for me. What really got me far in life and in school was staying positive and being friendly toward everyone. Because of this, in middle school I won the Friendship Award.

I owe my life to a special teacher Mrs. Roy for all she's ever done for me for 7 years. She helped me to read, get better grades, she always made me feel good about myself, and always told me she wishes more students would be more positive like me. I'm sorry to say she's not teaching anymore due to illness. I'd like to dedicate this post to Mrs. Roy.

I'd like to say thank you to my lovely husband [Redbeard] and Sierra for all they have done for me. Thanks to them my ADD is under control, I feel more normal now more than I've ever felt in my life.

11 comments:

Sparkle Plenty said...

Hey, Jess! Thank you very, very much for sharing your story. You ARE a lovely lady! It takes a lot of strength to get through the kinds of stuff you describe. This post inspired me, and it also reminded me of the horrible times I had in school "not feeling normal." Outstanding teachers like Mrs. Roy can really make a difference. I'm sending her good thoughts.

Have a great week! :-)
Sparkle

P.S. Knitting is great in the winter, but it gets too hot to deal with the yarn in the summer!

~**Dawn**~ said...

I think we are all given obstacles to overcome in life, and it's too bad fewer people don't handle theirs with the same grace & positive attitude you have!

Redbeard76 said...

I'm very proud of you, very well done honey, I love you.

jess said...

this day would be great for knitting or anything fun like that becasue its to cold to do anything else

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Special teachers make all the difference in the world.

Sparkle Plenty said...

What are you knitting, Jess?

Jayne said...

Hello Jess.

Great start to your blog.

Don't tell anyone but I love knitting.

I'd also like to know what you are knitting. At the moment, I'm knitting an extension for the house.

Look forward to reading your posts to come.

jess said...

i knitting hats, bags,and scarfs things like that also do cross stitch quilts to

Sparkle Plenty said...

Don't worry, Jayne--there are many of us who love to knit.

Cool, Jess! I love making scarfs. I actually made a sweater once, but it came out WAY too big and the arms are WAY too long. Kinda like a sweater for a gorilla. I wear it when I shovel snow. I look really horrible, but who cares.

jess said...

i made sierra hats before she was born and she would not wear it now she loves wearing hats any kind, she looks cute in hats

Ted D said...

Jess, thanks for sharing your story. As the husband of a teacher, it's amazing the impact they can make on kids lives.

You should be really proud you've overcome all those obstacles; says a lot about your character that you did.