Monday, June 30, 2008

The Love Of Camping For 20 Years

Sierra's 1st camping trip - taking her into the lake for her first lake swim.


Me and my brothers in front of the lean-to. Mike is on the left he is the youngest, and Nick is the one on the right he is the middle child. Most people don't realize I'm the oldest.


That's uncle Mike with Sierra and his dog. Sierra loves dogs.

This is a preview of our vacation that's coming up next week. Every year for the last 20 years I've gone camping with my family at Lake Groton, Vermont in the "Northeast Kingdom". It is a long beautiful glacial lake that's 3/4 of a mile wide and 6 miles long. At one end is Owl's Head, Big Deer and Little Deer Mountains. At the other end Lake Groton empties into Rickers Pond and further down the valley. The lush Green Mountains surround it on on all sides aside from the lower valley to the south which flows into the Waits River. Most nights the call of the Common Loon can be heard throughout the campground as they stride the lake waters. We also love feeding the ducks that regularly visit the lakefront sites.

9 comments:

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Northeast Kingdom I thought was a joke. Like something out of Lord of the Rings.

Than I realized people really called it that.

Oh Pooh, So many Lord of the Ring jokes down the toilet.

It sounds like heaps of fun.

jess said...

i can not wight to go its so much fun i think sierra will have more fun this year now that she can do more

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Oh definitely! Now that she can run around.

And some of the best times are when you are around other family members.

For a few years when I was a kid, my family and many aunts and uncles would go to Maine. I enjoyed that.

jess said...

ya, she loves going outside and camping was her frst night she full sleep the hole night, no more pack n play for her she will be useing ehr pull out bed that papa get her

Sparkle Plenty said...

Ooh! That looks like BIG fun, Jess! The official Countdown to Camping Trip has begun! Love the pictures. Sierra had a little mohawk back then! So cute. Your brothers look like very nice guys, and your younger brother's puppy is very, very cute...

Can't wait to see the photos from next week's trip! Hope you have a wonderful time--know you will. :-)

Ted D said...

Jess, sounds like the Redbeard family will have a blast. Hope Sierra has tons of fun.

BTW, does Redbeard know you own a "I Love NY" hat? ;)

Redbeard76 said...

Yeah, I know Ted, I was there when we bought it at the Fifth Ave Disney Store. We get that a lot when she wears it, people think it's a Yankees hat when it's really not. It is possible to love New York City and hate the Yankees simultaneously. Believe us, we wouldn't have bought a Yankees hat. Evah.

Ishat, looky here.

Sparkle, there have been some enormous bears... er I mean camp dinners where we had 40 bears,... er I mean family members there. Throughout the summer that side of the family stagger their vacations at Groton.

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Thanks Redbeard.

So a politicain gave it it's name.

~**Dawn**~ said...

I have never been a fan of camping (mostly it's the part about the bugs and the sleeping on the ground and the not having air conditioning parts hee hee!) but I am glad you enjoy it so much! I hope you have a wonderful vacation!