Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Why do the good ones always go early?

With the passing of George Carlin this week, my note to Sparkle Plenty inspired me to think about other early leavings. Not those who died, but good friends I've worked with that left the job much earlier than anticipated.

First there was Jimmy Shimmy from the meat department. I gave him that name because of a dance he always did, the Jimmy Shimmy. He left so long ago it's hard to remember the specifics but he always made working with him so much more enjoyable. He transferred to another store.

Then there was Jamie, another meat department guy. I had very good memories of him. In our store while we were away from our loved ones, we would always joke about having a [name of store] boyfriend/husband or girlfriend/wife. Jamie was mine and it was always good for a laugh. We pretended Sierra was our child and he would ask me how our baby is doing. He also transferred to another store.

After that the store manager Mike left. He and I got along so well we had a special bond. When I came to my fifth year anniversary, he called a big huddle with the whole store. He gave me flowers, a cake, a nice card, and my five year pin. I really appreciate him now because the current store manager does everything by the book and doesn't call huddles that much anymore and really isn't fun to work for anymore.

Next was Nancy, my loving department manager. She was like a mother to me. I even bore a resemblance to her so people often thought I was her daughter. She said when she was in school, her photo looked almost exactly as I did then. We are still close today even though she doesn't work there anymore.

Fourth was June, who was first an assistant manager to Nancy. Then when Nancy transferred to the bakery, June stepped up and filled her managerial shoes. We were like sisters, I could tell her anything. She would let me slack off in her office with her just a bit and I would give her backrubs. She would ask me to bring up some papers from seafood and she would have me hang out with her in her office for like an hour sometimes. If someone called up to her on the phone, June would tell the other person I was busy and continue the conversation or whatever we were doing. June moved across country to Wyoming to be back with her family.

Then Chuck left. Another meat department guy (I don't know what it is about them). He took over where Jamie left off. We gave each other the biggest bear hugs and I always put a smile on his face. Now he floats from store to store filling in at different meat departments.

Last there was the brat of the deli, Barb. We called each other that, she was a sweetheart and always made working on the weekends fun. She was always laughing and smiling. We would pretend the bathroom was her office and everytime she had a weird senior moment, she would say "I'm on my beach". Sadly, she is leaving to go work at the hospital starting on Thursday.

8 comments:

Ted D said...

RIP, George.

Jess, you're really fortunate to have worked with so many people you go along with so well. Sounds like it was/is a great place to work.

jess said...

it was mroe fun before june lift now its not as fun, but i still make the best of it

Redbeard76 said...

I miss June too honey, she was always good for fun. I wish she was still around to babysit Sierra like she did that once we had our valentine's date and got stuck in the snow in her driveway after the big storm.

It was real nice seeing Nancy the other day though, I still can't believe they let her go.

~**Dawn**~ said...

It seems like the good ones always move on & the ones that you wish would go never do. =P

Sparkle Plenty said...

Hi, Jess! :-)

Hope you're having a great week. Loved this post. Workplaces often become like family, and that can be really bad or really good depending upon who you're working with! Sounds like you've worked with some cool people there.

Cheers,
Sparkle

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

With Sparkle. Because we spend so much time at work they do become our second families.

And it's always nice when we can like our family members not just put up with them.

Jayne said...

It is always good when workmates share your own humour and things like that.

I hope you get more 'Junes' who will work at your store.

Hope your week is good.

jess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.